Wednesday, March 24, 2010























Daffodils are my favorite flower. Near my parent's farm, one of our neighbors planted wild daffodils in his ditch for miles past his road. Even on his land, he had more and more rows of daffodils. Every spring I would wander down to his ditch, and he would let me pick dozens of daffodils. Daffodils hold a special place in my memory. I know spring is here when those sunny and happy flowers show me their faces, smile at me, remind me of newness, growth, and promises.

A good and kind friend of mine received the most beautiful bouquet of daffodils today. While it isn't my place to tell her story, it was just the reminder I needed at the end of today. You see, God has been working in my life. Yes, the month of February was not my best. No, not at all my best. Truth be told, I was a mess, lost, drowning, tired, overwhelmed, ungrateful, empty. When Lent came, I was ready with my struggles and doubts in both hands.

Boy, oh, boy, thank God for spring. Between my experience in Belize, the sermons of Pastor Steve DeNeff, the readings of G.K. Chesterton, the teaching of Dr. Charles Bressler, and conversations with friends, God has opened my hands in order that my fears might be released. But it doesn't stop there, He opens my hands, and then takes hold of them. Hand in hand, He teaches me. He is taking me on an adventure. He loves me, He loves you, and for now, that is all we need to know.

(photo via sarahdippity)

No comments:

Post a Comment