Tuesday, September 27, 2011

pumpkin latte


It's fall as I have already mentioned. And I'm pretty sure, yes, I already stated my love for pumpkin lattes. Starbucks pumpkin lattes at $4 + no stable income = problem. The good news is you can make anything thanks to the internet.

So, I found a pumpkin latte recipe from the kitchn and gave it a try. It's really good. I made it with strong coffee since we don't own an espresso machine, and made my own cinnamon/nutmeg mix since I didn't have pumpkin pie spice. I tried this coconut milk whip cream recipe since I had coconut milk and not heavy cream, but I didn't really like it. I'll probably stick with typical homemade whip cream next time I make it, you know, tomorrow.

If you like pumpkin and fall and cheaper things, you should try it. Enjoy.


Pumpkin Latte from the kitchn

2 cups milk
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin OR 1 teaspoon of Torani Pumpkin Spice Syrup (your choice)
2 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute - you can halve this amount
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1-2 shots espresso (about 1/4 cup of espresso or 1/2 cup of strong brewed coffee if you don't have an espresso machine)

In a saucepan combine milk, pumpkin and sugar and cook on medium heat, stirring, until steaming. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and spice, transfer to a blender (I used my hand blender) and process for 15 seconds until foamy. If you don't have a blender, don't worry about it - just whisk the mixture really well with a wire whisk.


Pour into a large mug or two mugs. Add the espresso on top.

Optional: Top with whipped cream and sprinkle pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, or cinnamon on top.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I have been drinking pumpkin spice coffee, but a pumpkin spice latte sounds even better! Thank you for sharing dear.

    www.copperandwhim.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. emilie! austin and i just totally made these the other night. i may have a job, but we are still way too poor to afford me getting $4 drinks every day. plus i'd rather spend the money on bagels with my coffee. too funny, great minds think alike! and so good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. erika, so good. definitely try!

    and courtney, i saw your post on facebook about making them after i had posted this. twinsies. really good. and i made them again thursday but also made homemade whip cream. why have i ever bought whip cream? it's so easy to make and trillion times better.

    ReplyDelete