Wednesday, January 30, 2013

unmerited

I want to be gracious.

When I am tired, stressed, perhaps a little grumpy, I lose grace. I tend to place certain individuals outside my grace circle. It's not okay. No need to perfectly walk in grace, but at least I could dip my toes in it. Thankfully, grace is wide, welcoming us in all places and spaces.

"The Lord is merciful and gracious." Verse after verse in the Psalms. Who is that directed towards? Me, us, them, the person I didn't give grace to today. I receive it - reminded of His forgiving and loving nature.

When I can't give grace to others, makes it harder to receive it, distancing myself from God. That's the tension with grace, requires a response, a shift. I can't help but live differently and give freely when it's been given to me.

"Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many are forgiven -- for she loved much." (Luke 7:47a)

2 comments:

  1. Um, I SO needed to hear this.
    I've been walking around with the same attitudes.
    I love the line, "No need to perfectly walk in grace, but at least I could dip my toes in it"...mmmm, that's so good. Thank you for these honest thoughts and reminder.

    ReplyDelete