Sunday, June 30, 2013

the sunday before last

Two minutes before ten, I am standing near the back of the school hall. Glancing around, very few seats filled, and I feel guilt. Will more come? As I make my way to the keyboard, my thoughts multiple. Did I send enough texts or connect this week? How could I have encouraged others to come? We start the first song, my eyes downcast as we sing:

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord.

When I look up, the front row crowded with sweet kids, families together, familiar faces, the room filled. God corrects me. Emilie, this is my church. I am reminded not by my own ability, but His Spirit at work in each person. My thoughts turn into prayers, for every one who sits in our congregation, that they hear from God. His voice whispering: I am yours, you are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment